Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Website Re-Design Part 1

For our most current project, we were placed in groups and asked to select a crappy website to redesign, using the knowledge we learned from the Non-Designer's Handbook, chapters 6 and 7.

I am a great fan of the web, and an avid user of websites. I have never really dabbled in web design, but I sure can appreciate good design and spot poor design. I felt confident with the initial assignment, I didn't feel like I was in over my head. I also really enjoyed the chapters and found the content interesting. It's always cool to read about something that usually isn't discussed unless one is talking about creating -- you don't think about what makes a good website, your eye and your brain just click and you know. Reading the chapters got me into the zone about what it takes to make a good website.

Working in groups often freaks me out, because I am weary to trust others. However, since the classes I'm taking have become more focuses, the same usually goes for the students: we're more focused, more mature. I tend to always want to "get shit done," as in, I won't sit and wait for someone to start planning, and if no one does, I take over. I refuse to slack off, to be unclear, or to not speak my mind.

In this case, I trust my group members. I communicate a lot, and if that's annoying, I don't care, because we're lucky to have SOMEONE talking and getting things moving. I don't want to power trip and be the "boss" so I always ask for everyone's opinions, ask questions, leave things open for discussion. Does everyone in my group take advantage of that? Not really. That's life, though.

We definitely had our work cut out for us when we chose the website for Scandinavian Sun Tanning. I actually go tanning from time to time, believe it or not, and while I'm not the "target audience" for a tanning salon, the subject isn't foreign to me and I can appreciate a good website for such a service.

The website is shit. It's yucky, hard to read and sloppy as hell. We had no problem identifying what was wrong and decided what we could improve. How will this work out? I don't know yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment